If You Can Read This...

(figure it out)

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Tweens?

I don't remember the exact age group of "tweens" but my son is almost 10 and definitely should qualify for one. He's got the hormone surges...he gets pretty emotional sometimes. It doesn't help that he's always been a sensitive kid...aka...emotional. He seems just a little more likely to cry or yell at me than usual. Its such fun.

He hates school. I might have mentioned before that its hard most mornings to get happily out the door. At least we are getting out the door without tears most mornings this year. But now I get to hear "You're evil!", "You hate me!", "You just want me to get hit by a train!", "I should just kill myself!", "If this were a knife I would slash my throat with it!" (in reference to a spoon), "I don't love you!"

For the most part I try to treat these with humor. I figure if I give them too much importance he'll keep saying them. I don't laugh at him though. That only pisses him off more. And its disrespectful.

This morning he actually cried. But he also went to school. I didn't back down and I didn't bribe him. I finally ended up yelling at him to stop yelling at me. I know, I know...but I'm human and my sense of humor and patience only goes so far. He wanted me to apologize first. Um...I don't think so. "Why do you girls always want us to apologize first?" Say what!?! I don't know where he got that from. I told him that wasn't true and that I tell him I'm sorry when I need to, but this morning was not one of those times.

How will he be when I get him this afternoon? He'll be fine. Happy to see me and to be done with school. I might even get an apology.

I can't wait for him to outgrow this "I hate school thing." Unfortunately I don't think its going to happen...sigh...

3 Comments:

  • At 5:51 PM, Blogger Meowkaat said…

    God... I know... G is so dramatic. I don't remember A going through this...maybe it's something about their birth year, you know, the Chinese Zodiac, "rats are prone to yell at their mothers and accuse them of wanting their child to die". I just had a big fight trying to get G to do his homework...like pulling teeth but teeth would be infinitely easier.
    SIGH.

     
  • At 12:44 AM, Blogger isokesa said…

    that's so scary that they are so much alike.
    I didn't get an apology, but he was happy after school. and this week ha been pretty easy. I did write him a note to get out of gym, but he didn't use it since I got him out of school early due to sinus problems...benedryl and aspirin didn't work...sigh...

     
  • At 9:07 PM, Blogger Meowkaat said…

    They are very alike. It must be a drama gene... just glad A. didn't get it!I'm also glad that I'm not the only one who lets my kids skip shit. I do all the time... I think to myself, is this really necessary to their development and well being? And if it's not, I let them skip. Mediocre mother, that's me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home